Would You Date A Coworker?

love smooch

Dating in the office can be very controversial. Some workplaces forbid it, others don’t. But either way it can be a risk. If things don’t work out you still need to work together….talk about awkward! And, let’s not even think about the office gossip and sexual harassment cases that may follow those who are unsucessful in office love.

But, according to a survey by CareerBuilder, 30 percent those who had a relationship with a coworker ended up getting married to that coworker. Maybe, times are changing? Apparently today there are new generational differences with regard to openness to dating in the office. Generation Y (people born in or after 1980) feel very comfortable pursuing love at work.  A January 2012 survey by Workplace Options and Public Policy Polling (see full report here) found that:

• 84 percent of Gen Y workers said they would enter into a romantic relationship with a coworker compared to only 36 percent of Gen X workers, and 29 percent of Baby Boomers.
  • 71 percent of employed Gen Y professionals see workplace romances as helping to improve overall performance and morale
  • Gen Y is more open to dating their supervisors than all other age groups combined (40 percent)

As a Gen X’er myself, I’ve never been comfortable dating someone at work. Then again, I spent my whole career in a female dominated industry so that might be why. (lol) But considering how much time we all spend in the office and with coworkers these days, it is the place we all spend the majority of our time, make many of our friends and meet the most new people. I’ve known a few people who have had office romances…but I only know one couple who made it work.

So, do you think it’s worth the risk? Have you dated someone you worked with? How did it work out?

Photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/calamity_photography/

About these ads

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Discussion

Author:coupletastic

I'm a married publicist who holds a Master's degree in psychology, with a concentration in Marriage and Family Therapy. I'd like to make the world a better place...one relationship at a time.

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

12 Comments on “Would You Date A Coworker?”

1. Serenity
    February 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Very good one! I dont like office dating, but I have found myself in a relationship with a coworker, its very awkward and u cant have others in your business is the key! I would never want to do it again tho.

2. February 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

I have heard a lot of horror stories about office relationships. ( at least for women whose husbands have had affairs at work. ) Because of that, I ‘s rather have a husband who’s also my co worker… to keep an eye on him. ( desperate female co-workers don’t care even if the man is wearing a ring. )

3. February 27, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

This article was good for me today. It is something that I have been thinking about a bit more lately- trying to balance the pluses and the minuses of this sort of thing. Ultimately- I guess you have to be careful in all relationships, but you have to weigh the pros and cons of all of it.

4. February 28, 2012 at 12:28 am #

I was just having a discussion with a co-worker about her anti-dating co-worker policy. She couldn’t give me a clear cut reason why she wouldn’t do it but she said “I just wouldn’t do it”…. which was a very mature answer!!!! After I called her an infant, I explained to her that we spend a large portion of our lives at work. What a better place to get to know someone? High school we are too young, college we supposed to have fun, and now no fraternizing at work…. with all these rule, now wonder so many people are single. I went on the say “Love doesn’t have a time or place but lust does”!!!! If you meet someone you can fall in love with in a burning building maximize on it. At work may be a slam dunk (if you just focus on it lasting), similar work interest, most likely a physical attraction, and lots and lots of time to get to know one another. I am a romantic so I go where my heart goes and if it’s going to work; that is where I will be.

5. February 28, 2012 at 4:08 am #

I dated a coworker. It didn’t work out, and for a long time afterwards things were soooo awkward whenever we bumped into each other. It’s only in the past month or so that things have gotten better. Fortunately we sit on different floors, so I don’t have to see him every day.

6. Scott Mitchell
    February 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

I would take the risk (if I was dating) if I really liked the woman. It’s true though about the negative aspects if it don’t pan out. I guess it would be like high school. Jealousy of others, etc. :)

7. March 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

It makes sense that coworkers are dating these days. People spend a huge chunk of their day at work, and then there are after work drinks, intramural sports, and on and on. I guess you just have to hope that they are mature enough to handle any fall out of things don’t work out!

8. March 3, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Like I stated above I been involved with someone at work…and it is so true we spend so much time at work its like almost impossible not to find someone there who you find interest in. I just hate the whispers and people trying to get all up into you business. It takes very mature people to handle a working relationship! It’s really hard. I was one of those who screamed I would never date at work…I was so against it but guess what I got caught up!

9. drgeraldstein
    March 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Part of the dilemma is that the workplace is a very natural and easy location to get to know someone attractive, so a relationship can just “happen.” Working with someone side by side, part of a team effort, can produce the kind of “pulling together” feeling that always is satisfying. It is usually best to think of the complications to a workplace relationship before your body sets your brain aside and starts to lead you toward contact that might be unfortunate. Carpenters like to say, “Measure twice, cut once.” In other words, you need to think carefully, lest both your professional life and social life become compromised.

10. October 13, 2012 at 4:57 am #

I’ve dated people who I have worked with, and usually I haven’t had many problems, and a lot of my other co-workers have also dated and gotten married. I think it all depends on the people, and maybe the support you get from those around you. But most of these relationships have been in businesses where there are more than 300 people working in the same building. I wonder if the results would always be the same if the office space was much more personal, where more people know your personal business.
    -Bonnie

11. March 28, 2013 at 5:17 am #

That’s Nice.

12. July 11, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

Can’t say that I have … but it does make sense to be attracted to someone you see on a daily basis … then again … the more you see the more you can get turned off. It all just depends …