Just when you thought you knew everything there is to know about online dating, today I’d like to show you there’s even more out there for you to try. Some interesting…some kinda crazy….but nonetheless new.
You may know that I previously did a post about the top online dating sites, and some new ones, but did you know that today, 120,000 marriages per year result from Internet matches? Maybe your Mr or Ms Right is out there online. Who knows…but you certainly won’t find them sitting on your sofa eating ice cream, right? So, get out there and try something..maybe one of these sites, maybe one of the more traditional sites, or just get out there the old fashioned way. The bottom line – don’t let your life pass you by, just get out there.
Here are some new online dating sites that you may not have heard about yet:
- Clique - Through this invite-only site, only you, your friends and other people connected to you by less than three degrees are visible. When you’re browsing profiles, you can see how you’re connected to each person, and your friends can make match suggestions for you.
- Sparkology - This new site has set out to filter its community with rigid criteria. To join the site, you need to be a college graduate. If you’re a man, you need to be a verified graduate of a school on the site’s list of “top universities.” Payment also works a bit differently than traditional dating sites. Women pay a flat fee per month to be on the site. Men pay a small fee to start conversations, which theoretically prevents them from spamming everyone on the site.
- Nerve Dating – Once a site for listing personals, Nerve Dating relaunched in 2011 with a focus on natural ice breakers. Users post mini-updates on their profiles that answer simple questions such as “What did you do last night?” Whether they read a book, saw a concert or watched TV, the hope is that it will give others a reason to connect. Browsing the site is free, but unlimited messaging costs $20 per month.
- Singles Around Me – This new dating option is an Android, BlackBerry and iPhone app that lives up to its name. Quite simply, it uses the GPS feature on your phone to find singles near you, literally plotting them on a map. Profile information is pretty limited, but there’s an option to message people to find out more if you fork over $2.95 per month or $19.95 per year.
- Soul2Match - This site promises to match singles based solely on one piece of information from each of them: their headshot. Founders cite several studies that show what we’re all really looking for in our ideal mate is ourselves. Based on the premise that the more two people have similarities in their faces, the more they look alike, the happier they are in the relationship, the stronger the relationship, the website compares your photo with other faces to rate your compatibility.
- Grouper – Interestingly, this site arranges group dates between three women and three men. Potentially less pressure and a “meet three new people for one time commitment” structure.
Daters….Would you try any of these new sites?
Photo credit: shawncampbell’s flickr photostream